Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Friendship

Friendship is very important especially to people like me who is studying in a foreign country. Close friends are the person you turn to when you need help. Family is just too far away. For that, I value friendship much more than last time.

However, at the same time, I do expect more from friends. Since you put in more effort in maintaining friendship, you would also want the return to be at least equal if not greater. From here, I also discovered how fragile friendship can be.

Friends forever. That's what we usually hear people saying. But does friendship really last forever? Some do, but not all survived. It is like a plant growing in a greenhouse. It requires care and love to grow healthily. This process is continuous and thus the plant will grow stronger day by day. However, before it reaches a critical point, where it is so strong to be considered to be your best friend, a simple mistake can kill the plant (referring to friendship if you are lost).

For me, sometimes it is those tiny little things that people usually ignore that is affecting a friendship. For example, some friends do not realise they have gone overboard with their jokes, some might gossiping about you behind your back (but did not carry out discreetly enough till you actually know them) or some might just simply choose the wrong time to disturb you which irritates you.

In my opinion, friendship that can last for long time require trust from both side. Without trust, one will not go very far in that friendship. When one friend start to be suspicious about the other, and start to hold secret, the other one will simply do the same. From there, the light of that friendship will become dimmer as time goes by. Is it difficult to trust someone? Yeah, in this 21st century, people are becoming increasingly complicated. Therefore, I really appreciate my best friends that I still managed to keep until now. I do hope they can continue to last forever.

Thank you for reading this boring post. Just been thinking a lot lately.

5 comments:

Hamtaro said...

yeah, yeah,fragile friendship.I am thinking a lot too these days especially when I have more free time for myself.Sometimes even some of the friends seem like hanging out well with you, doesn't mean that they really treat you as friend, i mean real friend.After a few times of such experiences, I cant really fully trust 'friends' easily.Just out of curiousity, something had happened to make you write this?

yk@eunice said...

hehe agree with what you wrote. I used to be very naive and think everyone that I know is "a friend". My good friend always remind me that some people are just your collegues/ coursemates/neigbours/etc but they might not your friends :p She told me if someone doesn't want to put effort to maintain a friendship, don't feel too sad about that and just let go, appreciate those who really cherish our friendship.

Jason said...

I agree with you Sze Kee. Ya, something happen recently and together with the accumulated experience had prompted me to write this post. Haha.

Jason said...

Ya Yin Kia, I believe that's the way now to handle friendship. Totally agree.

Hamtaro said...

i agree with the method of handling, but i still will feel sad especially when i hope to be frens with them and treat them as one. i know there is nth to do , but still cant help feeling that.wish we find our real frens.