Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Gathering

Today, I had a short but enjoyable gathering with my secondary schoolmates. It was nice to see how each other had chosen their own path for the future. I am not writing these to share the conversation that took place today. But rather, I am writing to share the thoughts I have after the gathering.

Once upon a time, we were the top students in the class. There were endless fights to see who will the number in the class, and hence the whole form. Those were the days when we will compare our marks after each exam, just to see who get the highest marks. We will even jolt down each other marks for record, just to make the job of comparing each other marks easier afterwards. Those were the days when we will be very careful on what we will do, just to prevent others from getting higher scores. For example, if one have some particular tips for the coming test, he / she will not hesitate to keep it for himself / herself. On hindsight, this kind of mentality is so selfish. Something that I will not do nowadays.

What sparks my idea for this post is, as we meet again today after so many years, we did mention back about what we had done those days. Suddenly, we have the consensus that those acts are so pointless. What's the point of winning someone when studying is suppose to be meant for yourself. Not to win, not to impress anyone, not to gain scholarship, not to please your parents, but for your own knowledge. Gaining knowledge while we still can will provide us an opportunity to know more things, to think more maturely, that's suppose to be the way we study.

As for now, studying to me is just for myself. I study for my own improvements, and with that, I send regards to everyone out there who is studying, study smart, study hard to improve yourself! Till we meet again. Bye!

1 comment:

yk@eunice said...

haha... can't imagine u really jot down ppl's mark and did a very "detailed" comparison... i'm quite lucky to be with friends who are willing to share tips with me (since secondary school until my master degree)... i hate to compare my marks with others... normally my friends were interested with my marks but i was just too lazy to ask their marks :p